You’ve heard the term “aromatherapy” thrown around quite a bit since the resurgence and rediscovery of essential oils in the last fifteen years. I say resurgence and rediscovery because using aroma to create mood and atmosphere has been around for centuries, and using essential oils for various purposes has been around for millennia!
“Aromatherapy,” as the term connotes today, implies that using different fragrance can elicit different positive moods, feelings, and emotions for people. Some common scents found in aromatherapy include lavender and chamomile for calming and relaxing, eucalyptus for air-freshening, peppermint for awakening and relaxation, and citruses for concentration, but the power of aromatherapy doesn’t stop there, nor is it the same for every person. Because our sense of smell is directly linked to the olfactory area of our brain, the area used to store memories, different fragrances can have varying effects on people. For example, if your grandma always baked delicious apple pies, then the fragrance of apple pie could have an aromatherapy effect of nostalgia, calming, and joy.
In this blog, I would like to offer different suggestions for how you can incorporate aromatherapy into your everyday life to bring you joy, relaxation, comfort, and elicit life’s ideal moments.
- Wear Your Aromatherapy as Jewelry! Popular and fashionable, Aromatherapy Necklaces allow you to interchange the fabric insertion of the locket. The insertion is fabric so you can drop a few drops of your favorite essential oils, fragrances, or perfumes and wear it around your neck all day long.
- Light a Soy Candle! Candles are a classic way to bring aromatherapy into your home. Burning a favorite scented candle for a few hours could enliven your space with a fragrance that makes you particularly happy. Plus, the candlelight is soft and relaxing to watch flicker.
- Scent Your Linens! Spraying your favorite aromatherapy blend on your linens can be a fantastic way to elicit calming feelings. The Rest Easy Aromatherapy Spray is blended with Lavender, Roman Chamomile, and German Chamomile essential oils, and is said to create feelings of serenity and harmoniousness. Plus, because of these particularly gentle essential oils with our natural blend of witch hazel with benzoic acid, you could also spray baby’s linens and your medium-large-sized dog’s linens!
- Use Your Body! With all the choices of perfumes and fragrances, wearing your favorite fragrance on your body is one of the most popular ways to create aromatherapy in your space.
- In Your Shower! Shower Steamers are specifically designed to create aromatherapy while you shower. From a bright, freshening, cleansing breath of greens (like eucalyptus, basil, tea tree, and peppermint), to everyone’s favorite relaxing scent, lavender, you can turn your shower into an aromatherapy spa.
- Don’t forget how much revelry a deliciously scented soap can bring to your shower day after day! Fragrant soaps can help you relax or wake you up, and mixed with the heat from a hot shower, it’s like taking 15 minutes for simple bliss.
- In Your Bath! The popular bath bomb can turn any bath into a luxurious and exciting experience! With so many varieties of fragrance (plus all the pretty colors), bath bombs are an amazing aromatherapy retreat. The same for bath salts! Bath salts make your bath water soft and moisturizing, plus with all the different fragrances, you are sure to find something that brings your mind and nose merriment.
Whatever way you choose to bring aromatherapy into your life, it’s a natural, safe, holistic approach to living a life of joy. Remember, any scent can function as aromatherapy, as long as it’s a scent that you just absolutely love to smell!