It’s fairly common for us to have a customer come up to one of our tables at our vendor shows, smell the candles, fall in love with the fragrances, and then explain that the customer “doesn’t burn candles.” We can completely understand and respect this for a variety of reasons: Small children in the home, curious pets, not allowed (such as dormitories or regulated apartments), fear of forgetting to extinguish the candle.
While highly unlikely, especially if following proper candle burning procedure, candles can potentially be dangerous – but this doesn’t mean you need to swear off candles. There are a number of ways you can enjoy candles without ever actually lighting them.
- Simply decorative. Candles are beautiful all on their own. Their labels, their shape, the smoothness of the wax; having a candle located in the right place of the home can prove to be a lovely decoration. Curate the colors, name of the candle, or the cold throw (the fragrance you smell when the candle is unlit) with the right room to create a full set.
- Make a car smell amazing. Leave a candle with its lid off in a car, especially on a warm day, and the fragrance will emanate all throughout the vehicle. Try keeping it in a cupholder or securing it while the car is parked.
- Keep your candle by a window that gets a lot of sunlight. Your candle will warm up and the fragrance will gradually seep into the room. Note that the sunlight may cause discoloration of the wax and/or label.
- Place your candle on an electric candle warmer to gradually heat up the jar and melt the wax to make the fragrance come through for everyone to enjoy.
- Start a collection for aesthetic purposes. Everyone loves to collect things – it’s a natural desire to have all the parts of a whole. You can create a beautiful and impressive collection of candles for a variety of purposes – same color, same fragrance, same brand.
- Need a quick-fix fragrance? Try using a heat-gun or blow-dryer on your soy candle. Use the lowest setting possible, point at an angle at the wax (not directly at the wick), and circle the candle around while you’re warming the wax to be sure to create an even melt pool. This will warm the wax and bring in some gorgeous scent into the room without the fire! **(This is also an awesome fix if your candle was previously tunneling.)
- Keep one at your desk while you’re at work. Depending on the type of fragrance, a good quality soy candle will have a strong cold throw (the scent when unlit). This cold throw can create a light fragrance right at your desk. Pro tip – keep the lid on until you’re ready to take a whiff of scent so your nose doesn’t become “scent-blind” to the fragrance.
For millennia, people have been enjoying candles – okay, sometimes they just needed them for light – even unlit, candles are one item that has never gone out of style.