In the natural beauty world, there’s an overwhelming fear of “toxic” chemicals. The more I learn and grow as a chemist and person, the more I have discovered that chemicals are not the toxicity to fear, but toxic people are.
A toxic person is someone who draws out your positive energy. They’re always negative and they try to draw you into their darkness, or they try to make their darkness surround you.
The old adage is true; misery loves company. The bigger problem with toxic people is not that they exist, but that they use their parasitic negativity to feed on doubt and self-consciousness.
We’ve all experienced these kinds of people. Sometimes they are trying to bring us down with them and sometimes they’re just trying to knock us down. Whatever their motivations are, and it’s usually their own lack of stability and doubt, we must push forward beyond them.
- Feed your cheerleaders. For as many toxic people that exist, you will find your cheerleaders, as well. Focus on those people who are cheering you on.
- Listen to criticism, but ignore critics. True constructive criticism is pivotal and necessary for all of us to learn and grow. No one is perfect. But people who spend their time criticizing without any constructive purpose are toxic and should be ignored as white noise.
- Get yourself out of toxic situations and relationships. The best way to make a parasite die is to no longer give it a host to feed on. When someone is toxic, excuse yourself from the conversation, and if it’s a long-standing relationship, just continue to make excuses to get out of being with him/her. Don’t try to argue – this just feeds them.
- Become a rubber ball. For as much ignoring as we can do, sometimes we absorb negativity and start doubting our own self-worth. This is when you have to be a rubber ball and make it bounce off of you. If you’re working hard and doing the right thing, do not allow that negativity in; trust your value.
- Carve out your roads. Toxic people cling to those who they believe lack direction and focus. If you create a clear path to your goals and vision, then there is no time to stop and allow naysayers to veer you off the road.
When in doubt, just keep putting positivity into the world. The right people will always be in your corner and the negative ones will run from your light.