I’m the world’s worst gift-giver. It’s not that I’m thoughtless, believe me, I pine over choosing the perfect gift for every occasion. I don’t even wait until the last minute, and yet, I find myself on Amazon, filling out the gift card section. (But seriously, who doesn’t love an Amazon gift card?)
This year, I decided to start super early so I could buy exactly the right thing for everyone. My nephew, who is only five, has become obsessed with Greek mythology ever since I started telling him the stories. Every time he would visit: “Aunt Krissy! Tell me the story ’bout Medusa – she’s not the bad guy, right?” I thought I nailed it this year. I got him the D’Aulaires Book of Greek Myths, the Percy Jackson movies, and a whole bunch of Hercules stuff. He opened it all up and said: “Where’s the soap and bath bombs?”
My jaw hit the floor.
My five-year-old nephew wanted soap and bath bombs.
“You wanted soap and bath bombs?”
“YEAH! I like throwing them in the bath tub and the special Beachy Butt soap!” –Ever since he learned “bum” was another way to say butt, he thinks it’s hilarious to call our Beach Bumming soap the “Beachy Butt” soap.
I thought about what he said, and it dawned on me why artisan soap is seriously always an awesome gift to give:
- It always fits. You never have to worry about insulting someone by the size of the soap you buy.
- It’s always needed. Soap will never go to waste because there will come a day when you run out and need more. It’s like toilet paper.
- It’s the gift that keeps on giving, but not long enough to be annoying. Unlike a sweater, which you may get sick of, or technology, which will be outdated in 3 months, soap lasts around just long enough before you’re bored of it.
- It smells nice, and even if you don’t like the smell of the soap, someone in your house will.
- It’s super easy to wrap or ship. No worries about long lines at the post office; you can throw those guys right into the mailbox.
- It doesn’t go bad. Much like a good wine and a good woman, soap just gets better with age.
- Soap is personal enough that you can pick certain ones to appeal to certain people, but not so personal that you will have awkward moments.
- Soap is always in style. No worries about trends or fads, soap is classic and transcends time.
- Artisan soap is colorful and unique; you will hardly ever find two pieces that are exactly alike.
- It works for any age group or gender. From young to old, man or woman, soap is used by everyone (well, we hope).
- It applies to every holiday and celebration. No matter the time of year, soap applies!