The social and political upheaval of the recent election is hard to ignore. Everywhere you turn there are divisions, discord, and polarized parties. It’s all been emotionally exhausting.
On the positive spectrum, it has made me deeply reflective about feminism. I always considered myself a feminist – not the extreme bra-burning, hairy-armpit type of feminist, but the feminist who believes in empowering other women. I have bonded with my fellow women more recently than ever, and it’s because I am looking at you through different eyes – through eyes of admiration, respect, empathy, and scrutiny.
It’s not about pro-Trump or pro-Clinton, it’s about pro-women, and despite my snarky and sassy title, I have respect for all women because this is what I see in you – my beautiful, every-day “nasty” women:
- You’re the best friends anyone could ask for. You open up, you’re vulnerable, you’re honest, and it makes you undeniably beautiful. You support and back each other up; you stand up for one another. You fight for each other harder than you fight for yourself. Your loyalty is unwavering.
- You are incredible mothers. Your little kids are happy and blissfully ignorant of the ugliness in the world. Your older children are aware, respectful, and look to improve the future. You have created more than human life; your effervescent and robust mothering has created citizens.
- You are staunch business-women and entrepreneurs. You know your figures, your vision, and you have an impenetrable drive that keeps you moving forward. You support each other’s businesses by promoting, advocating, and raising each other up.
- You are dedicated mentors and teachers. You freely give of your time and your spirit to help others grow. You share ideas, offer constructive feedback, and empower one another.
- You are astoundingly kind and empathetic. You will open your heart and ears to anyone who needs them. You feel, you love. You are far too hard on yourself, but readily see the beauty in others.
- You are strong partners and wives. You stand by the person you love with guidance. You go above and beyond managing your household, ensuring everyone is safe and happy – even the plants and pets.
- You are truly wise. You have a deep insight and introspection, a fairness and pragmatism which includes heart and soul. You know there is always more to learn, and listen to the world with receptive ears.
- Your beauty is in your details. Not your make-up, or your nails, though that is surely noticed, but in your stories, your laughter, your way to light up the room.
- You are humbly brilliant. You can speak about Monet, or Chevrolet engineering; you tear up at Walt Whitman, or the perfect saponification. You know just enough about pop-culture, sub-culture, other cultures to make you worldly and confident.
- You are crafty and artistic. The way you pull together the perfect shoes, or buy the off-the-beaten-path bag. You paint, doodle, draw, and create the perfect cup of coffee.
- You’re fierce advocators for the rights of others. Civil, social, political, economic, you clearly see there is life beyond you, and will speak for the unspoken, fight for the tired, and feed the hungry.
Today, I applaud you “nasty” women, because if being “nasty” is being like you, then I can only hope to be nasty one day.