One of the most important things to us at Bath, Body, and Candle Moments is animals. This is why we went the extra mile to become cruelty-free and vegan certified by PETA, cruelty-free certified by Leaping Bunny, and why we donate to Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue. But our love for animals started much closer to home; it came from rescuing two dogs from shelters – Rocky, a lab-beagle mix who we lost in 2013, and Daisy, a pitbull-mix who is a vibrant 60 pound bundle of love.
We love, cherish, and respect all animal life, but since we’ve always had dogs around, we’ve learned a lot more about the best life to live from dogs. One of our favorite stories is of Shane, a little boy who explains why dogs die so early:
“People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”
The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”
We agree with Shane, so we’ve compiled a list of education from the perspective of a dog. (We’ve declared ourselves unofficial dog whisperers, so we know what they’re saying to us.)
- People need you, even if they don’t realize it. If they seem like they want to be alone, or they’re in a bad mood, just keep following them around. They’ll appreciate knowing you’re there for them.
- You can always make time for a hug, a snuggle, or a belly rub.
- Live in the moment. You can’t change the past, the future is obscure, just catch the frisbee.
- Loyalty is the epitome of ways to show someone you love them. People are great, but YOUR people are the greatest.
- It’s perfectly fine to have a snack. Or two.
- Find the excitement in everything. Like the mailman!
- Trust your instincts. If your guts say to growl, then step away.
- Talk less, listen more.
- Practice your manners. Sit, stay, be patient.
- Expand your cultural horizons. Sniff new people. Try new foods. Except the slug on the lawn – don’t eat the slug; trust us on this one.
- Be flexible. If it smells alright, and they have food, it will all be fine.
- Live life simply. All you really need is a tennis ball, a running hose, and some leftovers.
- There is no point in being self-conscious. If it’s itchy, scratch it.
- Your senses will tell you everything. If it smells delicious, you must have it!
- There’s no point in lying. They will always find pieces of the shoes.
- No matter what you look like, someone will find you adorable.
- Tired? Nap. Hungry? Eat. Take care of yourself.
- Sometimes you’ll get hurt, sometimes you’ll get sick, sometimes people won’t treat you the way you deserve, but that ball is not going to chase itself!
- Make sure everyone in the room gets a lick; you don’t want anyone to feel left out.
- It’s okay to let the other guy win in tug-of-war sometimes. Sooner or later, they’ll see it’s not a fun game to play by yourself.
- You don’t have to be the biggest dog in the park to be the leader.
- There are things in life that are hard to swallow. Just put some peanut-butter on it.
- It’s okay to be scared of things you don’t understand. Sniff it. Taste it. Learn about it before you decide.
- There’s nothing quite like a romp through nature to lift your spirits.
- People will make mistakes. Sometimes they’ll forget a walk, sometimes they’ll kick you off the furniture – it just means they need more licks than usual.